Friday, June 20, 2008

Kicking the Box and Be Free

I've taken up Thai Kickboxing and find it exhilarating, fun, and very challenging. To give you a better picture think of a 53 year-old woman who has never been athletic a day in her life suddenly kickboxing. I've been at it since the end of January. I'm a gold belt now. That's good for me. No, don't get all impressed because I have a long way to go.

Kickboxing does several things for me: relieves stress--I have major stress, strengthens my body--I have different medical issues, and takes my mind out of the loop. I get huge migraines at times and I've discovered that stress brings them on. My brain keeps working on things even when I sleep. If there's a lot of stressful things happening, my brain is running like a computer out of control and the migraine builds and explodes. Kickboxing has helped tremendously in making my brain focus on one small task at a time and lock out everything else. That's why I call it Kicking the Box. Think of the box as being all the things you have to do, all the things you expect of yourself, and all the things that others expect of you.

Kicking the box frees me. It could free you. If you aren't interesting in kickboxing, find something--anything that will help you kick the box. You deserve to be free. I knew I deserved it and I am.

No comments: